Saturday, June 27, 2009

Happy 19th Birthday, Brenton

Nineteen years ago, Tim and I were anxiously awaiting the birth of our first child - a child that everyone at the doctor's office thought was a girl - and I was convinced would never come out. My first due date was the 18th of June, then they moved it back to the 3rd of June (good thing he wasn't born that day as Tim and I were at a Don Henley concert at Sandstone). The doctor finally got tired of waiting and on the 27th of June induced labor (I have fortunately forgotten most of that). What I do remember is that Brenton hadn't even dropped and was playing with the cord so they had to do an emergency C-section. I woke up in the recovery room where Tim told me we had a son. I couldn't move my legs (as they had given me an epidural before the general anesthetic) and every time I held my baby I threw up. I remember my sister was there looking like a million dollars and I was paralyzed and puking. I thought I was allergic to my baby (Shelby wants everyone to know I never thought I was allergic to her). He has grown up to be wonderful son and brother and we are all enjoying having him home this summer. Happy Birthday, Brenton!

No comments: