Thursday, November 5, 2009

What Happened to October?

My cousin, Kathy, reminded me today how remiss I have been with my blog. Somehow October seems to have come and gone and I am woefully behind in relaying the Byrnes' adventures. I looked back at my October calendar and found there wasn't a day that wasn't completely filled in, but luckily November looks better (at least so far). So you don't think I am exaggerating, in October we had 7 football games, 2 half-time shows, 3 marching competitions, 1 cancelled marching festival (twice), 2 drum lessons, 5 bowling matches, 1 band concert, 1 BBQ contest, 3 catering gigs, 1 Folly Theater volunteer event, 1 dentist appointment, 1 root canal, 1 chili cookoff, and the usual - work and school.

The Rompin Stompin Raider Band competed in the Blue Springs Marching Festival, The Heart of America Marching Festival at KU, and the Festival of Champions in Warrensburg, MO. I think I took over 1,000 pictures (another reason why I have postponed blogging - it took me forever to download all the pictures to the band website - let alone my blog). They performed "Fantasmic" - which is a lot of Disney tunes. They did great taking home a 4th place trophy and making the finals in 2 out of the 3. Shelby played the bells and did an awesome job. She is so very responsible - getting herself to all the practices (early) and giving lots of rides to fellow band members. She still loves her new car - her "baby" and is great about running errands for me - anything to have an excuse to drive. It has definitely made things easier for me.
The Ottawa Braves remain undefeated to date with 2 games to go. I have travelled to Sterling, KS, Hillsboro, KS and Salina, KS to watch the games and tailgate with the other parents. The coach asked all of the players to dedicate last week's game to someone - Brenton dedicated the game to his grandma Dixie, as she never got to see him play football. This Saturday is Senior Day and we are post-game tailgating. The final game of the regular season is in Wichita, KS vs Friends University. I will of course be there with my "D" and my "Fence." Brenton (No. 54) had a great game against Kansas Wesleyan University in Salina Monday - as did his roommate, Jake (2 TD passes), and friend, Clint (2 rushing TDs).
Tim didn't have much luck at the Garnett BBQ and I placed 4th at the B&V Chili cookoff. Work is very slow as there does not seem to be a demand for power plants in the US - I certainly hope we find a project soon or there will undoubtedly be more layoffs. The fire department is keeping Tim busy (no shortage of fires). Now that I have caught up on our lives, I will strive to not procrastinate and get so far behind. Of course bowling tryouts are the end of November...then we will have bowling matches to keep us busy.

No comments: