Sunday, October 10, 2010

Heart of America Marching Festival, Ottawa Football and Raider Homecoming

Shelby was quick to point out that I am woefully behind on my blogging so must pack a lot into this one.  First of all, the Rompin, Stompin, Raider Band went to KU last weekend to perform at the Heart of America Marching Festival.  If you have been following this blog since it's inception, you will remember that I always called this one the tone-deaf music festival as I felt the judges were tone-deaf as the teams that placed were always substandard in the musicality department.  I can honestly say that this year was a surprise - I actually agreed with the results.  Our Raiders placed 3rd in their division with their Jekyll and Hyde show.  It was the first time they had performed the entire show as they had just gotten the 3rd section earlier in the week.  They did an awesome job - had a few miscues - but all in all, were pretty darn good.  Lawrence and Papillion-La Vista South High (from Nebraska) Schools beat them and just looked a bit more polished with a louder sound than our Raiders.  Our show was more complicated than theirs though but we never seem to get extra credit for degree of difficulty.  Next up is the Warrensburg competition at the end of the month.  Should be a good one.
Next up was some Ottawa Brave Football.  After a horrible game at McPherson, our Braves got their act back together and defeated Sterling, Southwestern, and Tabor College.  Brenton got to play in the Southwestern game because of course, I wasn't there (I was at the KU Marching Festival).  Alas.  Anyway, he has played in all the JV games and had a great one against Baker.  Cady and some of the softball girls came to the game and Cady helped me take some picture of the action.  The Braves are now 5-1.  They get next week off - Brenton is heading to Oklahoma that weekend to attend the "other" OU game with Cady and her parents.
 Last and certainly not least our Shelby attended the Homecoming Dance with Gerry Kraai (fellow band member).  Our Raiders actually won their Homecoming game and the dance with the next night.  Shelby looked quite lovely and I must admit, I got a little choked up when she came down the stairs and Gerry said "She looks so beautiful!"  I thought I refrained from making them pose for an excessive amount of pictures but did take some (go figure).

No comments: