Friday, May 20, 2011

Katy Trail Day 3

This trip has had a number of firsts for me - first time on a bike tour, personal record in mileage, first time staying in a bed & breakfast, first time riding a bike in the rain. Today we missed the rain by 15 minutes (yay) but I survived my first bike topple over (and my second one too). I think the first one was my fault as I just couldn't get uncoupled fast enough. The second occurred when we were riding up the driveway to the wonderful B&B we are staying at which unfortunately is extremely steep. We were spinning but the drive got slick and we lost traction. It reminded me of those old roadrunner cartoons when Wylie Coyote goes off the cliff and just suspends for a second before crashing. That pretty much describes what happened although no injuries were sustained. We have showered now and are feeling much better.




This part of the trail was not as exciting as the previous days. Not as many towns to go through and the ones we went through were rather depressing. No deer or rabbit sightings. We are up to 40 bikers. We are off now to Hermann for a steak dinner. I might just might have to have an alcoholic beverage tonight. Martha and Larry are still speaking to me (and each other) so all is good. We will leave McKittrick tomorrow and ride to Augusta (which might be our shortest day). Will keep you posted.

No comments: